Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Bikes

My Bikes

I'll be the first to admit it. I have too many bikes. Now hear me out before you judge me as an excessive hoarder. Each bike I've acquired serves a purpose and has helped me in my quest to figure out what kind of riding I really want to do. While it may seem like I've spent a small fortune on bicycles, the list below has really not cost me very much and has just barely cracked my budget I set aside to spend on bicycles this past spring. Honest! 

Prior to this last March, I owned two bikes. Both are mountain bikes and one saw next to no use while the other, only mild activity. For years I had owned a really low end Jeep Comanche 21-speed mountain bike in bright orange. It was a fine bike for getting around on rides with my daughter but really not good for much else. That was just fine with me since my biking consisted of two or three trail rides per year, usually at the Irving Nature Park (on the road no less!). I decided I wanted a more serious bike in 2010 after a friend and I ventured out on some off-road trails that I struggled to carry myself through on my department store special. Within a week of that ride I purchased a 2009 KHS Alite hard tail cross-country model in a beautiful bright green colour that was much lighter and tougher than the old Jeep.

The KHS Alite 1000 on the trails


The KHS saw a lot of activity that summer but sat in the garage most of 2011. Life had gotten busier and since my friends weren't riding, I wasn't either.

That changed in March of this year when my passion for riding a bicycle was re-kindled with the purchase of a 1969 Raleigh Twenty 20" commuter from a local auction house. The seed of the idea of getting a vintage commuter was sparked in the months leading up to the spring as I surfed the internet and found myself drooling over photos of vintage cruisers. When my friend Chuck told me of the Raleigh, I had to have it.

What a joy it was to cruise around aimlessly  after work on my little bike. No preparation or special gear was needed to ride it, nor did I need to fear rock, tree stumps, or drop offs on the streets and sidewalks of my neighbourhood. I felt like a child again as I peddled along with my wife when she walked the dog.

The Raleigh Twenty


The bike is interesting since it is an adult bicycle but is equipped with only 20" wheels. This was Raleigh's attempt to cash in on the small wheels craze of the time that was started by Alex Moulton's bicycles. While much less civilized than the Moulton bicycles, with their full suspension, the Raleigh proved to be a timeless classic and one which is sought after for it's ability to be modded into a plethora of different workhorses. In fact, mine is currently in pieces as I turn it into a touring road bike. My Twenty is equipped with a Sturmey Archer 3-speed internal hub, but many people mod them to accept a variety of different gear choices. Sheldon Brown was a great advocate of these bicycles and his site is a vast resource for more information.  


The Twenty in transistion


The little blue Twenty led to not only a change in my bicycle riding, but in my life. Soon I was finding myself surfing the internet to read about bicycle commuting, buying bicycle magazines, and taking a real interest in the whole bicycle culture and accompanying lifestyle. This of course led to an obsessive search for more bicycles to try out. I daydreamed of the kind of ride that a vintage Schwinn cruiser must surely provide. I lusted after bicycles with accessories like huge headlights, rear carrying racks or swept back handlebars.

Imagine my excitement when I found a 1974 Raleigh Superbe 3-speed in Moncton for next to nothing. My wife, daughter and I drove up to purchase the bike the same day I spotted the ad online and I immediately set to work polishing it up. The bike came equipped with a Dynamo lighting system in perfect working order that adds a real charm to the bicycle's appeal. The comfy Brooks saddle, full chain-guard and upright riding position makes this bicycle a treat to ride. My wife has claimed the bike as her own since it is indeed a ladies cruiser, but I still enjoy stealing a few moments with it now and again.

The Raleigh Superbe



While I worked on rebuilding my Twenty as a road bike, I decided I would look for a used ten speed to beat around on. This led me to what has become the most used bike in my collection. A mid-80's Raleigh Module 12-speed touring bicycle. This bike, with it's Simplex derailleur and gumwall tyres, has taken me through every serious trip I have taken this year and has definitely racked up over 500km in the short time we've had together. Outfitted with a front rack and a set of rear panniers, this bike was with me on my three day ride on Grand Manan island. With it's front and rear LED lights and comfortable touring saddle, it's my everyday commuter and my go-to for bad weather days. It's a Canadian made Raleigh (unlike the British pedigree appointed to the two previously mentioned) and likely not worth more than a few dollars at a yard sale. It's not taken care of very well and sports a considerable amount of rust and grime. Somehow though, this bike has become a prized possession. We've just been through so much together and though she's in just as rough of shape as me, she's always gotten me home safe.

The Raleigh Module at Castillia Marsh, Grand Manan


The next bike to enter my collection was an impulse buy. While surfing the internet one night, I found this classic Flying Pigeon single-speed men's cruiser and had to have it. I probably paid too much for the bicycle, since it is in dire need of attention, but I was seduced by it's classic lines, rod brakes and enclosed chain guard. The bike came with a neat locking caliper and a license plate from Beijing where the bikes are still sold today. In fact, the Flying Pigeon is the most popular bicycle ever sold! I only managed to get about 20 minutes in on the bike before the crank broke. But what a great twenty minutes it was!

Hopefully this will be a regular rider next summer.

The Flying Pigeon


The next was a flea-market find. I could not pass-up this white, ladies cruiser by All-Pro in absolute mint shape when I spotted it amongst a pile of old furniture and other household items. I paid a ridiculously low price for this bike considering it needs nothing. The internal Shimano 3-speed hub works flawlessly and the swept back bars, that I fit a bell to for good measure,  provide a classic ride. Not to mention just how pretty this bike is. This bike would make a great show piece but I doubt I will keep it since my wife has her Raleigh and my daughter has no interest in it, but what a pleasure it has been to have it.

All-Pro Ladies Cruiser


My next ride came from a yard sale and was spotted by my friend Chuck Teed. Chuck's an obsessive type like myself, and has been a great resource for finding some classic bicycles. And what a classic it is! This British-made Raleigh Ace has 10 speeds,27" tyres and Huret components. It's racing geometry and 63cm frame, make this more bike than I need at 5'11", but is a blast to ride. Information is hard to find on this model, but from what I can gather, this bike was a late 70's entry-level racing bike that mimicked the look of the classic Team TI models. When I picked this bike up, it was in rough shape and I debated whether I had paid too much at $20. It sat in my garage for weeks until I decided to give it some attention over two days on my vacation this August. The bike cleaned up nicely and is much easier to ride than my other steel framed road bikes. It was this bike that led to an interest in classic road racing and cause for a good many late nights watching old Paris-Roubaix and Tour De France footage (mostly of Eddy Merckx). With it's shiny red paint, racing decals and sleek lines, this bike is a keeper.

The Raleigh Ace



I'll admit it. This next bike was a mistake. I've lusted after a folding bike that I could store under my desk at work for quite some time. In my mind, this would be the bike that would turn me into a full fledge commuter. I read up on all the benefits of a Brompton and was enthralled by stories of those who traveled the world on these little wonders. I had already done a lot of reading on Bike Fridays since they acted as the template for my Raleigh Twenty design, and I became convinced that I needed a folding bicycle. While my wife and I were celebrating our two year anniversary this past August, I picked up an '88 Dahon Classic III folding bicycle. The bike folded small enough to fit in a trunk and with it's 3-speed Stumrey Archer internal hub, was  just the bike I needed. Until I rode it that is. To say this bike is twitchy would be an understatement. The ride is nothing short of alarming. While I think a bike like this would be perfect for those looking to travel along quiet streets or parkways, it's not the bike I needed to safely ride back and forth to work, and absolutely not the one for longer treks loaded with gear. This one has seen less than an hour of use and is definitely one I will use for trades or straight up sale to someone who wants it. One day I will have a Brompton though!

The Dahon Classic



Finally, we have my latest bicycle. My first aluminum framed bike. It's ride is drastically different from the steel framed steeds I've been riding all summer. Aluminum, while much lighter than steel, is stiffer and this is noticeable on the roads (especially in west Saint John where upkeep is questionable at best). This, coupled with a much more aggressive geometry than I am used to, makes the bicycle feel much sportier than my others The bike came equipped with matching Shimano Sora components and flight-deck shifters, as well as an 18-speed drive train. Though it has it's issues, this bike feels like a much more expensive bike than what I paid for it, and I have been very excited to ride it. The modern deep V rims and skinny 700c tires complete the look of this racing bike. The previous owner said that they used this bike for triathlons. With it's lightweight and ample drive train, I can see why.

Aluminum Framed Raleigh Racer


So there you have it. My bikes. I've learned a lot about bicycles this past summer and have spent endless hours in the garage adjusting gears, truing wheels or just figuring out how to make my little yard sale treasures ride. I've learned that I love road bicycles and am interested in trying my hand at some club rides this spring. I am not sure if I am cut out for racing, but it's not something I'd rule out. I've learned that getting around my city on a bicycle, hearing the sounds and making eye contact with it's inhabitants, makes for a much more enjoyable experience than sitting secluded in a car. I've learned there's no simpler joy than riding just for the sake of riding and in some ways, I think it may be the fountain of youth (if only temporarily).

I am sure that some of the bikes that I have listed above will be gone by next summer, just as I am sure that some will be with me for life. One thing will remain constant though, each of these old bikes has taught me a little bit more. For that, I am grateful. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. I've been wanting Adam do catalogue all of his guitars. She should start a blog, too!

    ReplyDelete